Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Two days in

Quotes of the day:

"I still think 'the seizure' [Kennedy's] may have been orchestrated... Rehnquist was hit in 2004~05, Giuliani may have been hit in 2000, and Specter 'got cancer' in 2006."

"The CIA is altering human physiology through the use of chemicals and bio-engineered grain - apparently since 1992."

- PERSPECTIVE ON THE NEW WORLD ORDER, a pamphlet handed to me by a guy in park by the Capitol Building. He was wearing a sign that said, "Flag cap the CIA: Stop the KGB Infiltration!"

The KGB? Should have known. Still kicking 17 years after the fall of the USSR. Will they stop at nothing?

All right, I'm two days into this intern thing. I'm absolutely loving it, but I'm exhausted, so this blog might start to get shorter and less frequent. Sorry. There are probably a bunch of typos in this - sorry.

There are nine of us interns now. I met my roommate at the office yesterday morning (he is also a Grassley intern), and he moved in that night. He is an awesome guy, and under 21, so I feel a little less lonely now. :) He goes to Wartburg College, is the president of Wartburg Democrats, and is a Hindu. We haven't had any discussions about politics or religion yet, but we're getting along great so far.

I am the lone press intern in Grassley's office, and I am loving it. Basically, my job is to collect all the newspaper articles talking about Grassley and his issues every day, put them together and distribute them around the office. I also go to some of his radio shows, TV shows, teleconferences and constituent meetings, take notes, and then work with the other guys in the office to contact media. I don't have a whole lot of real responsibility, but it's breathtaking to be along for the ride, so to speak. It is surreal to see him just walking into the office every couple hours or so. There are about eight TVs in the press office, always tuned to news channels. I'll see him speaking on the Senate floor, and then, fifteen minutes later, he'll be walking past my desk. (I use the term "desk" very loosely.) Then I remind myself that the Senate floor is, after all, only two blocks away - a short trip by the private underground train that goes from the Senate building to the Capitol Building that I GET TO RIDE ON ONCE IN A WHILE!

Tonight, I stayed late to watch Grassley do a cable call-in show for Iowa TV. I'm not sure what TV channels it was on, but if any of you saw Grassley on cable tonight, I was sitting twenty feet away from him. It's awesome to watch the way he talks to people - he has an instant command of the facts, but never in an arrogant way.

Until tonight, I had never actually walked into or out of the Capitol building. I had taken the underground train to a studio in the Capitol building for the cable show, and afterwards I walked out with the senator and two guys from the press office that I've been working with. We walked through a long maze of hallways, through two big double doors, and then we were surrounded by huge marble columns. One of the guys said to me, "Have you looked back yet?" "No," I said, and then I did - and then looked up, and saw the Capitol dome jutting into the sky.
After I struck out on my own towards to the Metro, I took this picture.


So basically, I walked out of the Capitol building alongside a U.S. senator tonight. That was cool.

I am going to bed. Miss all of you. Good night.

4 comments:

Alvin said...

QUESTION: How do they feel about young, enthusiastic English major writers/photographers? Are they for 'em?
Also, if I blog about this Grassley fellow, will you collect it and distribute it around the office? "The best thing he has going for him is one Joel Veldkamp. As soon as they have him under the payroll (and that should be VERY soon, if they have any brains at all), they'll be on the right track."

Jacob said...

Speaking of typo's. "Kroze" should be Kroeze. Unless you're making a point.

You are my idol.

Joel said...

I'm sure they would love you Alvin, because right now, I'm taking some of the pictures at the press conferences, and I'm sure they suck. I got yelled at by a reporter for using the flash at a press conference today. That was kind of stressful. :)

I think I could probably slip your blog into the press clippings...

Sorry Jacob. It's fixed now. You are my idol as well.

Melissa said...

i am so excited for you and glad to hear (or rather, read) that you are enjoying this. and a agree with alvin... :) keep up the good work!