Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's been a hard day's night - I should be sleeping like a log

Question of the day: REM and Modest Mouse are playing nearby in a couple weeks. Is it worth $48?

Hello everyone. It’s a pretty lazy Saturday here. It’s pouring outside, so Abhay and I are watching the Democratic National Committee decide whether to seat the Michigan and Florida delegates. It’s actually pretty engrossing. Even though I’m for McCain and he’s for Obama, we both keep yelling at the Clinton supporters for being stupid/opportunistic. It’s great fun.

Last night, I got The Beatles’ A Hard Day’s Night and The Who’s Endless Wire at a small bargain shop in Georgetown, so I’m pretty excited about that. Also, tomorrow, Regina Spektor will be giving a free concert at – get this – the Jewish Federation’s celebration of Israel’s 60th anniversary at the National Mall. So I’m definitely going to that. Pretty sweet, huh?

The internship is going great, but it’s kind of hard to find time to write. I get up at 7, leave at 8 to get to the Hart Senate building by 9, get off at 6, get back at 7 (or 8 or later, depending on if we go out to eat or to Target or something). So by the time I get back to American University, I’m really exhausted, and have only a few hours to do whatever it is I need/want to do. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, but blogging might take the backseat occasionally (especially since I can’t seem to keep these posts very short.) Sorry.

This week the Senate was in recess, so Grassley is in Iowa, and we are a little less busy in the press office. (Grassley lives in New Hartford, and he saw the tornado going past from his bedroom window.) I’m still really enjoying being in the press office. The people are great, and I stay really in the know.

The conspiracy theorist I talked about earlier is standing out there by the Capitol every single morning. Abhay talked to him the other day and found out that his name is Andy. So now, every morning, we can walk past him and say, “Good morning, Andy!” If I ever have a day when I’m running early, I might try to get a video interview with him.

More pictures – I got these last weekend when we went around the National Mall.

World War II National Memorial:




Korean War Memorial:


Vietnam War Memorial:
Jefforson Memorial:
FDR Memorial:
Jefferson statue through the pillars:

Directly across from the entrance to the Jefferson Memorial:
Up close:
The shadow:

2 comments:

Alvin said...

Isn't The National also playing with REM and Modest Mouse? Yes, it is worth $48. Terrific.

Jacob said...

And and I heard on NPR that Grassley is a pain in the side for the Justice section of our government (prosecutors and such) Sleep cell in Detriot? I don't know, I hadn't heard of it before, but it was a good story. "This American Life: The Prosecutor"

later.